WHAT ARE AN ASSESSMENT/ DEVELOPMENT CENTRE?
Essentially, Assessment/ Development Centre is a methodology whereby individuals are assessed using multiple techniques by a team of assessors/ psychologists, rather than a physical venue. This methodology of using a set of integrated techniques and a team of assessors was designed to increase objectivity, provide a well-rounded view of the individuals being assessed and simulate the actual job environment and requirements.
APPLICATIONS OF AC:
The applications of Assessment/ Development Centre are varied. Some of the most common applications are (but not limited to):
- Employee Selection
- Talent Management
- Succession Planning
- Identification of Training/ Development Needs
- Team Building
WHAT ARE INVOLVED IN AN AC?
There are several activities in an AC and these activities are especially designed to suit the clients’ organizational needs. The participants in an AC are assessed based on their Competencies (Objective, Relevant and Measurable Behavioural descriptors of behaviours/ abilities/ characteristics etc). For example, (Leadership, Communication, Inspiring and Influencing, Problem-Solving, Integrity etc) on a rating of 1 (very low) to 5 (very high). Some of these activities include:
- Behavioural Interviews: Structured interviews whereby participants are required to produce specific and recent experiences to demonstrate their competencies.
- Role-play: These are role-plays whereby the participants are required to demonstrate their competencies through job-simulation of how they will handle actual job requirements.
- Group Exercise (Leaderless): This is where the participants will be require to work with other participants to achieve a common goal.
- Written Exercise: Participants are required to produce original written/ typed documents to possible job requirements.
- Presentation: Participants are required to present findings from their own analysis or group to a ‘CEO’.
- Psychometric Tests (Personality Assessment: MBTI; Emotional Intelligence Assessment: BarOn EQ-i; 360 degree; Inter Departmental/groups EQi, Ability Assessment: Differential Aptitude Tests: Stress Coping Test; Firo B; Aptitude Test; IQ Test; Online Assessment: Leadership Qualities Test).